Saturday, July 6, 2013

genealogy and researching my roots

My research for my family tree started many many years ago. Actually it
 started when I discovered that my dear mother had drawn up our family
 tree in her own cookbook. (another long story for another time!). I treasured
 it. I was very young then and didn't really think about it until I went to England.
 And then I really slithered into it wholeheartedly and never actually stopped.
 Not just researching and collecting dates or names for the sake of enlarging
 the family tree but I studied the history. I wanted to find out for example
 how my great great great grandfather or ancestors had lived back in the
 1700s....or even earlier. The digital layout below was possible - finally -
 after many years of frustration trying to find the link to my paternal great
 great great great grandfather. German authorities are not very helpful in
assisting you to find your roots and eventually it was just a 'hunch', a
 feeling that eventually led me to the right town to locate all I needed.
The photo was taken from a helicopter. The house is still standing and
there are no words that can describe the feelings when you are actually
walking over the doorstep or the floors, touching something that one of
 my ancestors might have touched or walked on. Just amazing.

3 comments:

diane.ca said...

Beautiful page Sabina.

Jeannette said...

I love history, but I do envy you for your roots. Somehow I do not feel I really care about my roots. My parents did mess up you know, and I think so did my grandparents, at least from my mothers side of the family. My roots have always been bothering me, I never felt free, never felt I could be myself. Only since a few years that changed. I decided my parents could no longer involve in my present or future life, I decided to be free!! I think this was the best decision I ever made, but still there is some sorrow for the past, which can never be changed or undone.
I once did try to find out where my ancestors came from, but then I found it far too depressing to continue with my search. It was enough to cope with my own parents.

So I do envy you for your roots, for finding out, for being amazed! I love the page below and it is amazing to found that house still standing and I can only be happy for you to have found your roots!

Maybe it's a coincident, but at the moment I am re reading the book called Roots, about Kunta Kinte and slavery. I've read the books once, a long time ago. There also was a series on tv, but I always find reading more attractive then tv and I so wanted to read this book again.

I hope your are doing okay Sabina, I'm a bit depressed lately, feeling a bit down, but I am loved by my hubby and kids, so I know I will get better!

hugs Jeannette

DogArtist said...

I loved this page before and still find delight in it here!! Love that you posted it. Lots of work has gone into this I know...and I still wonder at the angle of that shot - is this an old photo?! Perfect choices here in elements and colors.
oxoxo